Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Encouraging Words from Kevin Hanrahan


Today we get the second installment of the Encouraging Words feature on the blog!

Kevin Hanrahan is an impressive, inspiring man with twenty years of military service. He served as a company commander in Iraq and as the Deputy Provost Marshal for U.S. forces in Afghanistan.  While in Afghanistan, he was instrumental in spearheading the surge of dogs into Afghanistan and lobbied the Army to adopt an innovative and life saving explosive detecting dog program.

Please listen to this interview with Kevin on the Dog Works Radio Show, hosted by Robert Forto. Kevin explains all about working military dogs, with a focus on dog teams working in Afghanistan. I promise you, it’s fascinating! I sat down for 'just five minutes,' and then couldn’t stop listening!

Listen to internet radio with Dog Works Radio Show on Blog Talk Radio

Kevin is also a writer working on his second novel while the first, Paws on the Ground, makes the rounds with publishers. Here are a few Encouraging Words excerpted from a post Kevin published on his website, KHanrahan.com. Click this link to go to his blog for writers.

Those that write know this already: all writers have self-doubt about their work. I was in Afghanistan when my panic attack occurred. At this point I had zero knowledge about the writing industry.  

Here’s what I learned, with some generous and expert help:
  1. Yes, a knucklehead like me can write a book.
  2. Stop overthinking and just write the first draft.
  3. If it’s in your head, then put it on paper. You can work everything out later.
When you put yourself out there it leaves you open to rejection. I can tell you first hand, rejection stinks. But what is worse than rejection? Allowing fear of rejection to paralyze you, being too afraid to try. I’m not going to let the fear of the unknown scare me. Fear won’t keep me huddled around the warmth of the fire.

I know who I am. I’m a Soldier in the United States Army with real life experience who writes about what I know.
I can do this, and so can you.

Read about Kevin's and other soldiers' experiences in Afghanistan on his highly readable website. The pictures alone are worth the visit. The lucid, informative stories seal the deal. I'm a daily visitor. You will be too. 


Thank you Kevin, and readers, for stopping by! I hope Kevin’s Encouraging Words inspire you, as they do me, to just write, already! I know the readers join me in thanking Kevin for his service to us all, and in wishing him great success with his novels.

Did you enjoy the radio broadcast? Have you ever felt self-doubt? How do you move past unhelpful emotions? If you’d like to converse with Kevin and/or Carole, please leave a comment. We'd love to hear your thoughts.




Check out these related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment